?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Mk IX family, 5 1:48 ICM kits  (Read 2963 times)
Valinsky123

Email
« on: December 16, 2011, 09:00:50 AM »

Well I've been at these five since September and very enjoyable they were.
 The ICM kit was used in all cases with a few aftermarket pieces and a few spares.  I avoided using the kit engine (if you're building five a little diversion like this takes long time!) and simply pieced the cowling together around the fuselage sides and the circular plate at the front of the engine bay.  One thing to watch for looking at other builds on the net was wing dihedral.  I seem to have avoided the problem by not inserting the engine firewall (which by all accounts pushed the fuselage sides out) and by a bit of scraping of the wing roots just to make sure.

Aftermarket was all from Ultracast and included wheels, chin intakes, gun bay covers and props and spinners.  These were very worth while in my opinion though they more than doubled the price of each kit.  Spares were mostly in the cockpit area. The ICM canopies are noticeably pinched at the top so while I had to use the rear elements to match the fuselage cross section the front two elements were taken from Tamiya MkI and MkV kits.  These are helpfully supplied with the later type cockpit hoods!  They all had to be open canopies of course so the change in cross-section wasn't too obvious.  The MkVII canopy was from the Falcon vacform Spitfire Special set.

I did my best to get the variations in each marque correct and also show a range of other changes over time though I'm not claiming any accuracy for particular aircraft!  All the undercarriage covers were gently curved in boiling water as is correct for C and E wing Spits while the MkIXe and MkXVI covers had the smoothing fillet added at the front which was introduced towards the end of the war.  The MkXVI also received some scratched bulges on top of the wings for the enlarged wheel wells that arose from the change in axle angle for concrete rather than grass surfaces.  These were rare during the war but are very common now.  The only variation I didn't attempt to model was the slightly more bulging engine cover common on MkXVIs.

Markings were a real mixed bag and are intended to be representative of schemes rather than necessarily portray a particular aircraft.  A Barracudacals set was used for the MkVII with roundels used on others while a Carpena set was used for the MkIXc and MkVIII in SEAC markings.  This latter set were very think and matt and I ended up replacing all the RAF roundels with spares.  The C1 roundels on the MkXVI wings are actually the fuselage roundels from a Tamiya Lancaster which just happened to be the correct size!

Anyway, enough chat, here are the photos, comments and criticism welcome.  They are all brush-painted with xtracylics and weathered with pastels - perhaps a little too much but the effect is more subtle to the eye than the  camera.

The MkVII

The MkVIII

The MkIXc

The MkIXe

The Mk XVI

and a couple of parting shots...

Aleksander

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 12:55:13 AM »

Great collection of Spitfires! My congratulations - I know ICM kits and have also at least three Mk VIII/IX models. I like your Spitfires - they are looking very real, specially on B/W photo.
MikeC

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 10:30:06 PM »

Very nice; inspiration to get on with some of the many kits I have to build.  Particularly like the HF VII.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length