?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How Do I Identify Serial Number of Specific Spitfire  (Read 3876 times)
teepee54

Email
« on: February 29, 2012, 12:26:22 AM »

I am building a radio control scale spitfire and want to make it as the aircraft my father flew on D-Day.
I know the squadron (130), the model (Mk Vb) and the aircraft marking (AP-U).
Can anyone tell me the serial number of this aircraft or how I can find it.

Regards, Teepee
Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 10:45:31 AM »

Apparently, from records which are available, 130 Squadron did not make a note of their codes in the Operations Record Book, but, if you can tell me your father's surname (by private message, if you prefer,) I can read through the ORB, and see if it matches his name to a particular serial. I am planning another visit to our National Archives on the coming Saturday, so it needn't take long.
Edgar
teepee54

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 12:44:50 AM »

Hi Edgar.
No problems with disclosing my father's name. He is my hero and I don't care who knows it.
His name is Ronald James Pollock. At the time he would have held the rank of Seargent.
His staff number was 419337.
He flew over 100 combat missions, bailed out twice, survived a mid air collision.

Regards, Teepee
Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 08:22:48 AM »

Sadly, I have to report a failure; for some reason 130 Squadron didn't keep a daily record throughout May, June & July of 1944. It could have been something simple, like an inability to find someone willing to look after the book, during that hectic period, but that's just a guess. In April, he flew AR500 & W3574, but that's no help, and he was transferred out on July 5th.
Edgar
teepee54

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 03:24:54 AM »

Thanks Edgar, I'll keep looking.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length