?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spitfire XVIII Malayan emergency  (Read 4157 times)
Hakan Swerin

Email
« on: March 09, 2012, 10:46:28 AM »

I've planned to model my Spit XVIII as a bird from 60 Sqn in Malaya, mostly because of the colourful tiger stripes on the nose I think. It was just recently that I saw a colour profile of TP207 ("B") in Modeller's datafile 5 (Griffon Spitfires) that was camouflaged in "SEAC" Dark Earth/Dark Green, instead of the usual Day Fighter Scheme. It had a black spinner, and a Sky band around the rear fuselage also. Stated as being from 60 Sqn in Malaya 1946 (so before the emergency). The text explains that all XVIII were delivered to 60 Sqn in this scheme.
I have never before seen any hint of another camo for these Spitfires than Day Fighter, so what is your opinion?
Perhaps a change-over from green/brown to Day Fighter at a later date than 1946?
Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 01:32:25 AM »

At the end of 1944, an I.C.I. executive toured the Far East, and, among his observations, he noted that, in March, 1944, India H.Q. ordered that aircraft should be repainted brown over the Ocean Grey. If the order was never rescinded (and I haven't found any evidence either way,) XVIIIs could well have been green/brown.
Edgar
Hakan Swerin

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 12:18:58 PM »

Thanks Edgar,

In Mythbusters fashion I'll judge this as plausible then. Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length