?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1/4 scale Spitfire - Colours  (Read 3629 times)
Andy-YPC

Email
« on: April 03, 2012, 09:02:34 AM »

Hope you folks can help..
We are currently building 2 Spitfires (We scaled up model plans), for a big Paintball event that we are hosting.
The planes are almost finished, but need some advice on the colour scheme.
The Spitfires, which were originally going to be just generic planes, quickly turned into something a bit more special, so thought it best to do the paint job correctly.
Any help on the correct colour scheme would be greatly appreciated.
The Paintball game we are putting on is called "Battle of Britain" and is being held at the old RAF Finmere airfield in Buckinghamshire.

Pictures below.

Thanks
Andy

Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 05:30:32 PM »

This is the pattern, approved by the Air Ministry in 1937, and issued to the factories; the Ministry mandarins were not impressed by the drawing being of a Hurricane, but they let it go, on the understanding that a proper drawing of the Spitfire would follow; if it did, I haven't found it. The top colours were known as Dark Green and Dark Earth, and the underside colour, for the Battle was supposed to be Sky (in reality a pale green, almost Eau-de-Nil shade. By mid 1940, the fuselage roundels were red/white/blue/yellow, the upper wing roundels remained red/blue, and (initially) no roundels underneath; a fin flash of red/white/blue had been added by then, too. Somewhere I have a more comprehensive drawing, but it's hiding.

Edgar
Andy-YPC

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 12:22:03 AM »

Thanks Edgar.
I'll get some paint!!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length