?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New "Spitfire-Variant"  (Read 2944 times)
Matt Clark

Email
« on: July 02, 2012, 02:18:15 AM »

Hi Everyone!
I've had an idea. What if I design a new Spitfire variant by going through whatever processes are required (ie modelling) and proceed to build one, following all the rules laid down by the CAA, by reporting every step of my journey from concept to the finished article, providing technical drawings, plans, techniques, photos etc etc? Would people be interested enough to want to follow my progress, or has it all been done before? I'm thinking of building a two-seater, but not like the Grace Spitfire. Two seats side by side, a "Fatfire" if you will. I would build it like Russ Harmuth's and make it full scale too. Now I know what you're going to say: "That's not a Spitfire!". No, I suppose it would differ in a few ways, but I want to have a plane that gives me and my co-pilot a shared experience that you can only get side by side but to preserve the essence of the flight experience. I wouldn't want to worry about the accuracies of making a replica, I want a modern plane. I think that whatever struggles I encounter on my way can be an education for anyone else who is building or intending to build a plane, and hopefully my info can save them from experiencing avoidable setbacks! I am building a website which is empty at the moment (as I haven't done anything yet!) in which I will post diary entries and photos, and I will upload a regular kindle article, to document the salient aspects of the project, so that when all is finished, they will amount to the most comprehensive manual on all the dos and don'ts of building a Spitfire-variant. Sales of the Kindle articles will be used to fund the project. I expect that the cost of such a project would by far outstrip the income from the kindle sales, but it is an interesting exercise and I am willing to give it a go. If no one finds it the least bit interesting then I'll never get this baby off the ground!
Matt.
gregers

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 03:06:51 PM »

Hi Matt.
Firstly I am not a licensed aircraft engineer nor do I profess to be one, I used to be a spanner man / gopher on light aircraft and have worked on museum aircraft also.
This idea intrigues me but before you start what aircraft experience do you have?. Have you had advice from professionals?. Think of how much you want to budget for the project (Then times it by at least three)
To share the same experience wouldn't tandem staggered cockpit would be better?. Who will design your aircraft?. There is one hell of a load of preparation before you even start to cut wood/metal/carbon-fiber or whatever.
As for the aircraft itself. Sticking with a similar plan form and side profile will give you the look(ish) of a spitfire but it still will not be a spitfire.
To quote something I read when a similar project was mentioned ''why don't you buy a Chipmunk instead? it'll be cheaper.
Not wanting to put you off btw. Just trying to give you food for thought.

All the best.

Greg

All the best.

Greg
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 03:09:22 PM by gregers » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length