?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: F/O AJL Ridge Spitfire Pilot Middlesex Sqn Auxiliary Air Force 1949  (Read 2631 times)
fiskerton

« on: September 05, 2012, 02:15:45 PM »

Hi All
I am the co -webmaster of the Bomber Command website RAF Fiskerton Airfield. www.fiskertonairfield.org.uk
I have been contacted by a relation of a former 576 Sqn Pilot who served at RAF Fiskerton from mid 1944 to early 1945. I am in the process of building up a webpage on this Pilots service with the RAF.
One of 576 Sqn pilots based there in late 1944 Flt/Sgt, later 176279 F/O  Alan John Leslie Ridge DFC (nickname ‘Jack’) on completing his tour of Lancaster operations did at some time post 1945 convert to flying the spitfire with the Middlesex Sqn of the Auxiliary Air Force.
In 1949 he crash landed a Spitfire in a field at Grange Hill near Chigwell. The Spitfire was on a local Flight from north Weald. the crash happened on a Sunday , the Spitfire was badly damaged but Jack escaped in one piece
So, Can any of you guys identify this Spitfire and the unit, and point me in the direction of any report documenting this incident.

Thank you for your assistance
Dave

« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 02:17:19 PM by fiskerton » Logged
Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 12:19:58 PM »

604 Squadron is the County of Middlesex Squadron, and flew the Spitfire XVI from August 1946 to some time in 1951, being based at North Weald from March 1949 until February 1957, when the Squadron was disbanded.
Edgar
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length