?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SM520 delivery question  (Read 2687 times)
BobT

Email
« on: September 19, 2012, 09:55:01 PM »

Hi, I'm interested in trying to find out what Spitfire SM520 might have looked like, fresh upon delivery to 33MU from the factory in 1944 and would appreciate any assistance please.

I understand that she was constructed at Castle Bromwich as a Mk HFIX, with number CBAF10164 and equipped with a M70 engine.
I've come across two dates for delivery to 33MU. One being 23rd Oct 1944 and the other 23rd Nov 1944.

I'm thinking that she would have had the 'e' type wing and so am also thinking that she'd have had the uninterrupted yellow outer wing leading edges with
no gun ports visible there.
I don't know whether she would have had the earlier type cannon barrel fairings or the later 'cigar' shaped ones.
Also, I don't know which type of roundel would be carried on the wing upper surfaces on delivery at that stage, or the colour of the 'fabric'(?) covering the
.50 machine gun muzzle fairings and the bungs on the cannon muzzles.
I've read about the bulges on the upper surfaces that may have been introduced to allow for operating from hard surface runways(?) and am not sure
whether these would be there or not (I can never seem to find shots with them showing on MkIXs back then, only on the present day aircraft).

I have come across a photo in several places, of 124 sqn Spitfires taken in June 1945. The second nearest aircraft (ON-C) is supposed to be SM515
(which is about as near to SM520 as I have found in photos). Much of ON-C is hidden apart from obvious features such as the broad chord rudder.
The nearest aircraft looks to have the 'e' wing with the earlier style cannon barrel fairing and has the later upper wing roundels with the thin white
demarcation between the red and blue.

Any help as to dates when some of these features were brought in or best likelihood, along with any other known rules would be very much appreciated please.
Thanks very much in anticipation,

Bob Tomlin

Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 11:30:18 PM »

According to "Spitfire International," SM520 was an HF.IXe, and was taken on charge 23-11-44. At that stage, the upper-wing roundels would have been just red/blue (the white circle was not added until early January, 1945.) The cannon fairing, though shorter than that of the IXc, would probably have been fatter than usual, since the fairing had to be strengthened because of the sideways blast from the .5" Browning. Bulges over the wheel wells are unlikely, since they were introduced on aircraft with no "toe-in," which (possibly apart from the XVI) was not introduced until post-war.
Edgar
BobT

Email
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 10:05:06 AM »

Thanks very much for that information Edgar, much appreciated.
Do you know if they were still applying the sky fuselage band at that time please?
Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 10:12:46 AM »

Yes; that was not deleted until January, 1945, at the same time as the spinner went from Sky to black (all designed to help camouflage, on the ground, in Europe.)
Edgar
BobT

Email
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 05:13:39 PM »

Thanks very much again for that Edgar.
I've now got a better idea of what she would have looked like but keep delving through articles just to try to make sure.
So far to summarise:-
Broad chord pointed rudder
Sky fuselage band
'e' type wing (no outer mg ports, casing ejection holes)
No wing upper surface wheel bulges
.50 mg muzzles and gun camera ports covered in protective 'fabric'
4 spoke wheels
Regular Blue/Red roundel on upper wing surface

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length