?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Station keeping lamps?  (Read 2685 times)
francesco.doenz

Email
« on: January 16, 2013, 03:08:28 PM »

Does anybody among the seniors know what station keeping lamps are? They are mentionned in the A.P.1665A and were supposed to be used while formation flying? Does anybody know of photos depicting them?
Sopwith

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 08:19:38 PM »

I would have thought these would have been what we know as navigation lights.I stand to be corrected though.
francesco.doenz

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 01:25:26 PM »

No, these lamps were used while fying in formation and are mounted one on each side of the fuselage just forward of the instrument panel. They illuminate the top surface of the main plane. I think there should be photos somewhere with these lamps!!
Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 12:56:21 PM »

Finding anything will be extremely difficult, since they were introduced, by modification 133, from 11-11-40, and deleted, by a cancellation mod 359, from 22-8-41. There are a couple of small windows, in AR213's fuselage, which are the remains of the lights' installation.
francesco.doenz

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 03:47:36 PM »

Thank you very much for your informed response Edgar!
And I am still looking for a response about the three blisters on the starboardside and the two blisters on the portside of the upper cowling of the Mark one? What is under these blisters?
Sopwith

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 01:33:16 AM »

Well thats interesting,good to learn new things.Thanks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length