?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New ebook: Dam Busters. 70th Anniversary. May 2013.  (Read 3539 times)
AlexDevaney

« on: May 14, 2013, 07:42:24 AM »

Hi

On the 70th Anniversary of the 'Dam Buster Raid.' My short ebook is a tribute to RAF No. 617 Squadron. The brave men who breached Germany's industrial dams in the Ruhr Valley in May 1943. It became the most famous air operation in WW2. Code named: 'Operation Chastise' a secret squad of Lancasters attacked the Mohne, Eder and Sorpe Dams with Dr Wallis-Barnes 'bouncing bombs.' The Dam Buster mission included aircrews from the Royal Australian Air Force, Royal New Zealand Air Force and Royal Canadian Air Force (& US crew).

In 1955, the 'Dam Busters' film, burst across cinema screens around the world to national acclaim. The daring exploits of Guy Gibson and 617 Squadron, were forever immortalised as 'The Dam Busters.' However, the success of Operation Chastise, which gave a major boost to the British war effort, would always be marred by the loss of 1,650 German civilians.

See my Amazon Author Page:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alex-Devaney/e/B009BLBSJ6

Best Wishes. Alex.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 07:47:39 AM by AlexDevaney » Logged
Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 12:09:46 AM »

In what way was it marred by German casualties? There were also some foreign slave workers drowned; don't they count?
The Germans destroyed Guernica, to check on the result; they invented a new, jokey word "coventrated" for any town which received heavy devastation, so I doubt that you'll find many inhabitants of that city (never mind London, Hull, Liverpool, Portsmouth, Plymouth, plus sundry other towns/cities) who'll share that regret.
Edgar
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length