?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PR XIX PS888 history  (Read 3020 times)
Flying fox

« on: June 01, 2013, 07:25:16 PM »

Hello all.

I'm trying to gain an insight into PS888's service history, apart from her last operational flight.

I am fairly confident that she was delivered to a MU in March 1945, but after that, there is not much to go on.

I'm especially interested to know whether she flew in Europe and what her wartime markings might have been, though I expect considerable educated guessing will be required in this case.

I speculate that she would have been delivered in overall PRU Blue, with type B roundels at four positions and smaller serial number digits than she had at the end of her service, but my education in guessing terms, is much less than some in these parts.

Thanks in advance.

Chris
Antoni

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 01:06:12 AM »

Here's what's on the Form 78 (Aircraft Movement Card). Its a good palce to start from.

6MU 30-3-45 1PP Benson 24-4-45 542S 17-6-45 FEAF 23-12-50 FAC3 3-6-53 flew last RAF operational Spitfire sortie 81S 1-4-54 sold RThaiAF 3-6-54

It says it went to 542 Squadron at Benson in April 1945. Use your search engine to find the National Archive site. There you can find 542's ORB (Operational Record Book). You can then download one month's records for a small fee and see if there is any mention of its operations.
Flying fox

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 01:31:17 AM »

Thanks Antoni.

I confess that I forgot about the NA.

As you say, a good start.

Chris
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length