?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Flaps color  (Read 3983 times)
Aleksander

Email
« on: March 02, 2009, 10:39:26 PM »

Building an early Spitfire (you know already abot it  Smiley) I've found another problem - I was nearly sure, that all interior parts (flaps also) in an early version were painted Inetrior Green or Eau de Nile, but recently I was told, that flaps should be painted aluminium both sides. Could you show me the right choice?
TIA, Aleksander
NZTyphoon

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 04:48:13 AM »

Hi Aleksander,
 On page 8 of  Alfred Price's Spitfire Mk I/II Aces (Osprey, 1996)  there is a photo of the "first Spitfire write-off" K9792  (only three away from yours) of 19 Sqn in a field, upside down with the flaps lowered (or raised!). The flaps are clearly the same colour as the wing undersurfaces, namely aluminium dope. That was August 1938. On page 13 of the same book there is a photo taken in October 1939 of a crash landed Spitfire K9894 of 19 Sqn, with the port flap clearly showing up as being pale - at this time the colour scheme on the undersurface of the  port wing of Spitfires was black. My pick would be that the flaps were doped aluminium on the early Spitfire Is (K & L series) with late series Mk Is using Eu de nile. I don't know that Interior Green was used on any of the earlier Spitfire Is.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 04:49:46 AM by NZTyphoon » Logged
Aleksander

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 03:44:10 PM »

Thank you - I think, I should repaint them then. Did the "flaps-well" were also the same colour (aluminium) ?
Unfortunately I have no oportunity to find this book by A.Price.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length