?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Douglas Bader Question  (Read 3133 times)
Noble

Email
« on: August 10, 2013, 07:46:43 PM »

Hi all. Great site. I have a question that's been bugging and while looking for an answer I found this. (site) My question, and maybe it's a dumb one but here it is anyway!

I was watching a show recently about Douglas Bader and they mention his losing his legs in a crash. He went on to fly again of course but..now here's the "dumb question". How did he fly with artificial legs? How did he work the pedals? Did he have enough control with them or did they "rig" something up? Btw..since I'm here, I'm a 52 year old WW2 buff, and LOVE the airplanes of that era. Although I love a lot of the planes, (the P-51 is like a sports car in the sky to me, the P-47 is a beast, the P-39 is just plain cool etc!) the Spitfire is the most beautiful thing in the air I've ever seen. Those wings, beautiful lines, etc. Anyway!....I just thought I'd toss this question out there. My curiousity got the better of me! (hopefully this made sense. Letter composition isn't one of my strong points!)
Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 04:28:08 PM »

He lost one leg above the knee, and the other below the knee; there was enough left for him to exercise enough control.
Edgar
Noble

Email
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 05:59:43 PM »

Thanks. I guess I just assumed that you wouldn't have enough control with artificial limbs. Especially with the technology of the time. Great site. Thanks again for the reply.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length