?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Black stripes on Spitfire IX wings  (Read 4043 times)
Aleksander

Email
« on: January 13, 2014, 06:10:05 PM »

I have a dilemma - building Spitfire Mk IX according to colour drawings from Kagero book, I've made left wing stripes 90* angled and right wing - only straight, parallel to leading edge. One of my friends said that it has no sense, since these are stripes dividing "no step" areas over radiators on both wings, and they should be symmetrical.
I looked to my reference books and didn't find any picture with angled left wing stripe on it.
Spitfire I'm building is early type, EN 179 (SZ o J from 316 Sqn.) , and I was told, she wasn't rebuild Mk V, so maybe my friend is right.
Is there any rule how to paint them on Mk IX? I know, of course, that there were also A/C completely without these stripes, but I would to make it right.
Could you help?
Antoni

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 01:47:22 PM »

This is Topcolors 27 Polish Spitfires? You mean the thin black lines that delineate the no-walk areas? The book is correct, your friend is wrong. Lines at right-angles are found on both wings on earlier Spitfire Mks but on Mk IXs it is usual to find them only on the port wing like this.

There are many photographs that show the line is missing on the starboard wing but it often difficult to find it on the port wing because either it does not show up very well or, perhaps, it has been worn off. It possible to find photographs where it can be seen.

EN179 was flown for the first time on 31/10/42 followed by its delivery to 315 Squadron on 7/11/42 where it was coded PK*X and adopted by the commander of B Flight, F/Lt Włodzimierz Miksa. At the end of January 1943 W/Cdr Wojciech Kołaczowski was appointed Northolt Wing Leader and chose EN179 as is personal Spitfire. EN179 was transferred to Northolt Station Flight and recoded RF*K ( Kołaczowski preferred to use his old 303 Squadron codes rather than his initials). On 22/2/43 Kołaczowski replaced EN179 and it was transferred to 306 Squadron. On 11/3/43 all 306 Squadron aircraft were transferred to 316 squadron where EN179 was coded SZ*J and named Jasia and adopted by A Flight commander F/Lt Władysław Gnyś. In mid-May he chose another aircraft and EN179 became SZ*C. On 9th July Sgt Antoni Murkowski used it to score one Fw 190 destroyed and one probable. On 19th August it was shot down with the loss of F/O Andrzej Feliks Michał Próchnicki. In August 2005 the wreckage was found at  Naours, 15 Km north of Amiens. Currently owned by Martin Phillips and awaits restoration to flying condition registered G-TCHO. 
Aleksander

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 02:06:46 PM »

Thank you Antoni - I belived you can know something about it, and - to be honest - I was waiting for your reply. Yes - this is the fighter from Topcolors 27 - I was trying to show unusual Sky tail band and overpainted areas under letters "J" on the fuselage, but I'm afraid it is not so prominent on the model.
Thank you also for full story of the plane - I didn't know Kołaczkowski was also one who used to fly her - I've made a model of his Spiftire II (RFoW) too.

Few pictures:

Regards,
Aleksander
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length