?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can anyone help re this photo?  (Read 4044 times)
Peter Phelps

Email
« on: October 09, 2014, 01:30:59 AM »

I have this photo of my uncle, Eric John Phelps. He joined the RAF in January 1941, went to Phoenix, Arizona for his pilot training, then returned to the UK and went to 53OTU at RAF Llandow in South Wales in January 1942 where he initially flew Miles Masters before graduating onto Spitfires. He was then posted to 124 Sqdn in March 1942 where he flew Spitvire Vb's, Mk VI, and MkVII. He sadly lost his life on his third sortie in a Mk VII on 14th May 1943 when his oxygen froze at high altitude.

The attached photo puzzles me. He is standing (on the left) next to a spitfire in a camo paint scheme but obviously with a type B roundel on the fuselage. It certainly doesn't seem to fit with the Mk VI or VII, and doesn't seem right for a Vb, though he is shown as flying Vb AD191 ON-P on a Rhubarb on 20th July 42. The only explanation I can think of is that this was taken at the OTU, perhaps with an old Mk1a Spit still in early 1939/40 markings?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

I have a tribute page to him if anyone is interested: https://www.facebook.com/EricPhelps920
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length