?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The MH434  (Read 7397 times)
dc200

Email
« on: October 14, 2014, 12:11:23 AM »

I'm new to these boards, so first of all I'd like to say hello to everyone. Smiley

I saw the famous MH434 a few months ago and I've been a fan of it ever since. After looking into its history, I found that this particular spitfire was actually part of a Mk. V order but somehow ended up being an Mk. IX. There's no mention of this on its official site, so I've been left wondering as to how this came to be. Does this mean that the plane was built as an Mk. V but later converted into an Mk. IX? If so, at what point in its life did this happen?

Thanks,
DC
Sopwith

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 10:47:26 AM »

Hello dc200 and welcome, nice to have someone new on here as things have been very stagnant  here lately. With regards MH434, as I understand, it orders were put in for certain marks of Spitfire in batch numbers but these were then changed and upgraded on the production line as the requirement altered. So although it may have been ordered as a Mk V,by the time it was built things had moved on and it was built as a Mk IX. This was probably because by that time this particular Spitfire was built the Mk V was getting a bit outmoded. I stand to be corrected though. 
dc200

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 05:50:13 AM »

So the aircraft left the factory as an Mk IX, is that correct? I've heard of cases where Spitfires were sent to RR for conversion to another mark after they were built. If this was the case with MH434, then there may be some things about it which are different than other Spitfires of the same mark.
Sopwith

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 10:12:13 PM »

No I am sure it left the factory as a Mk IX, so should be identical to others that came off the production line in the same batch.
dc200

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 03:31:49 AM »

I see. I think it's the shape of the rudder that had me confused. Most other Mk IX's I've seen all had the pointy rudder whereas MH434 has the rounded version. I assume this was because MH434 is an early Mk IX?
Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 09:32:51 AM »

The "Mk.XII" rudder was not introduced, as standard, until February 1944.
Sopwith

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 08:25:27 PM »

Thanks for clarifying that Edgar, must admit I quite like the earlier rudder. As a matter of interest, is that pointed rudder on the Mk 12 the same as the Seafire XV and XVII ?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length