?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: MK716 September 1944 particulars?  (Read 9508 times)
jenshb

Email
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 11:06:07 PM »

Thanks for that Edgar.  So I can chip into bare metal on the wing root then...

Jens
Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 01:55:31 PM »

Sorry, Jens, missed this one; don't overdo it, since those aircraft wouldn't have seen a massive amount of use, and the walkways were covered with non-slip pads, from December 1940.  This was over-painted, in camouflage, but it would have taken a fair bit of use to wear it away, so I would expect only the root fairings to show any wear.  There isn't much sign, in "The Spitfire Story" (albeit in black & white,) just a darker (dirt?) area.
Edgar
jenshb

Email
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 02:13:39 PM »

Thanks again Edgar.  And you may have seen in the modelling section, I did keep it fairly low key compared to a lot of other Spitfire pics.  The pastel "dirt" tones it down quite well.  Oh, and just for reference - would the aircraft use a reflector sight or the gyro sight?

Jens
Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 11:40:19 PM »

Oh, heck, it's impossible to tell, from the photos, so it's "best guess" time.  Their primary role was P.R., with armament retained, for defensive purposes only.  "Run, don't fight" would have been the maxim, so I'd expect the reflector sight to have been still in use.  Also, would all the extra cabling, from the throttle lever to the gunsight, have got in the way of the camera controls?
Edgar
jenshb

Email
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 05:41:56 PM »

Good point Edgar.  Following on from that, I'd guess the gyro sight would have gone to aircraft and units supposed to fight first and run second.

Jens
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length