?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Information sought about Supermarine dispersal sites in and around Southampton  (Read 540 times)
Alan Matlock

Email
« on: August 22, 2018, 06:07:45 PM »

I am researching the locations of Supermarine's dispersal after the Woolston and Itchen Works were bombed in September 1940. This is in conjunction with a project sponsored by The Nuffield Theatre Southampton:
https://www.nstheatres.co.uk/get-involved/out-of-the-shadows

The project grew out of the theatre's production of The Shadow Factory, a new play by Howard Brenton, with Anita Dobson among the principal actors along with 25 local people (including myself) who were members of the Community Company playing the parts of Southampton families, factory workers, Supermarine designers etc. The play was so successful it is "Back by popular demand" Jan - March next year for and even longer run.
https://www.nstheatres.co.uk/whats-on/the-shadow-factory

The project has taken the same story of the city's crucial role in continuing to produce Spitfires into local schools and around the city and beyond using heritage double decker buses. We have gathered previously unheard accounts, some even first hand, from local residents and these will be placed into the City Archives. Currently we are running free guided, period-costumed bus tours of the various dispersal locations.

If any of you have information about the so-called Shadow Factories (dispersal sites) and stores where production was dispersed to I would be extremely grateful to hear of it. Supermarine archives (see attachment below) only give road or house names, not numbers for the addresses so there are still some we have not been able to pin down precisely. We are also interested to know more of what exactly happened in each place.

Many thanks,

Alan Matlock
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length