?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My Spitfire Mk I  (Read 6540 times)
Aleksander

Email
« on: April 13, 2009, 05:47:10 PM »

I would to share my just finished project - 1/48 Airfix Spitfire Mk. I with two-blade Watts propeller, from 19 Sqn.(F) RAF, Duxford, 1938.
I would to thank you once again for solving my problem with horn balance guard - I was trying to do my best with it - you can see the result.
Hope you enjoy her

jenshb

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 08:45:34 PM »

Very nice Aleksander.  The colour demarcations are tight, but still feathered and the panel lines aren't overdone.  One thing that looks odd though - the windshield seems too raked back in profile - especially noticeable on the second pic.

Jens
marluc

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 10:08:29 PM »

You´ve done a wonderful job Aleksander,I like these "early" Spitfires with two blade propellers.The horn balance ward is a good detail.The Watts prop and low profile hood are from a conversion set? The paint looks great too.
Congratulations for a good work,best regards:

Martin
Aleksander

Email
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 10:43:05 PM »

Thank you for your kind opinions - she's my favourite plane too.
I've built her OOB, with the only scratch on the top of the tail and few PE parts in the cockpit.
Canopy, as well as propeller, are in the box, so I didn't have to look for conversion (to be honest - you can made few different verions of Spitfire using just this one kit). Another model (the same one) is waiting for it's turn, since I want to have Mk IIa version too. I had only to paint this small window on the port side of the canopy, because I've seen it on the photo, but it wasn't sign on the model.
Jens - do you mean, the profile of the windshield is too low?  Well, it looks you are right - I didn't compare it with plans before, but now I can see it. Anyhow - I will leave it as it is.
jenshb

Email
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 11:41:50 PM »

Hi Alexander, you don't need to compare to drawings - look at photos.  No worries about using the Airfix windshield - it's useful for us to see what the kits look like from the box too.  Even so, the finish of the model is very good.

Jens
Aleksander

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 11:16:54 AM »

Thank you, Jens !
Editor
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 01:03:54 AM »

The model looks great, and I particularly like the convincing weathering. Congratulations.

I also agree that the angle of the windscreen looks wrong - too flat. Otherwise it is good to see the Arifix kit "live" - they seem to have done a good job with all the other shapes Smiley

A minor point is that the early antenna mast was thinner than the one shown, but that would perhaps be too thin to be moulded in plastic. Also, my guess is that K9795 in these markings should have the early (double) pitot tube.

These are but a few minor points from the Spitfire buff which should not detract from the overall impression of your model which is very nice indeed.

/Martin
Aleksander

Email
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 02:26:01 PM »

Thank you Martin - I was trying to do my best with the model  Smiley
Damiaes

Email
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 10:48:38 PM »

Great work.......lindo lindo lindo Smiley (in Portuguese)
also, I have one of the Airfix to do ... it is very pretty.

a question only ..... the n.º 19 in yellow that there comes ... also was it used?!
Editor
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 11:20:49 AM »

a question only ..... the n.º 19 in yellow that there comes ... also was it used?!

I suppose there will always be a discussion whether this tail number was yellow or white. Take your pick...
Aleksander

Email
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 11:38:03 AM »

On every photo I've seen, the colour of the "19" is very bright, so I was nearly sure, that it was white - but as Editor mentioned - take your choice - and, of course, show your work od Spitfiresite !
Regards !
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length