?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: C-wing bulges - contd.  (Read 3985 times)
Editor
Administrator

« on: April 14, 2009, 08:05:40 PM »

Being in the middle of the process of sorting out the different bumps and blisters of the C-type Spitfire wing, I stumbled upon this issue for which I couldn't find any positive proof. This is with regard to wide "double" cannon blisters often associated with early production C wing. Recently, plastic kit makers, including the recent Eduard's Mk. Vc, seem to have agreed upon the idea that there were two distinctely different shapes of this blister - one of a smooth teardrop shape, much  like an enlarged blister from the Mk Vb, and another which looked decidedly more square in plan view and rather squat in cross-section - see the inlcuded sketch.

Period photos of aircraft showing the wings' top side are in rather short supply, and I must admit that I wasn't able to recognize the two shapes from the photos. I'm looking therefore for some confirmation of this theory, or at least some discussion - perhaps it's only another urban myth?

NateW

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 03:03:30 AM »

I could field a guess that it was for the change in the magazine. I looked through my drawings, but couldn't come up with anything concrete.

Nate
Editor
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 12:57:30 AM »

It could be because a change in the cannon, but not the magazine Smiley. C-wing cannon were belt-fed.
NateW

Email
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 02:09:23 PM »

Ok, It was just a guess from looking at my drawings. The only one I could find that shows the squared off fairing is attached.
Good question, I'll keep looking.
Nate
gingerbob

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 10:53:50 PM »

The only one I could find that shows the squared off fairing is attached.

Nate, that drawing pertains to 'b' armament, not 'c'.  Where did 'your drawings' come from?

bob
Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 11:31:51 PM »

I suspect that, unless you can find the definitive drawing (and I couldn't find one in the RAF Museum's library,) you may never know.  With C wings being built by Westland, Supermarine, and Castle Bromwich (maybe even Cunliffe-Owen, and others,) each company might have tailored their shapes to fit their workforce and especially their, possibly unique, machines.  In "Spitfire Odyssey," by C.R.Russell (who was a "tin-basher" at Supermarine,) he tells how he made several masters, by hand, of the underside cannon fairing, for the VB; a master pattern was made from them, and then a die for stamping out the finished article.  I did find a drawing, for that, and it isn't the simple teardrop, beloved by model kit manufacturers everywhere.
  I do have a book, with a clear photo of a damaged C wing, and the flat top to the bulge is clearly evident.  It's probably me, but I was unable to get it onto this thread, so it's still sitting in my Photobucket account.  The question has to be asked; why make the bulge a perfect curve?  All you'll do is make the centre area thinner than it needs to be, therefore more fragile, and to no advantage.
Edgar
NateW

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 03:30:50 AM »

Bob,

I have a set of drawings that a friend gave me, about 3000 in all. I think it is a well known set. I've seen them on Ebay, out of New Zealand, Australia, UK, and Canada.
I just looked for the squared off blister, not the variant.

Nate
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 09:52:29 PM by NateW » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length