?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wing Spars for Replica  (Read 7330 times)
europaflyer

Email
« on: April 24, 2009, 09:24:39 AM »

Harbouring mad idea about building a 100% scale replica Spitfire. Need help to be put off the idea.

Does anyone know how much a pair of front (main) wing spars costs, approximately (as an example)? I imagine that it is so expensive that I will run away screaming and be put off the idea forever.

NH
Spits

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 09:22:32 AM »

Does anyone know how much a pair of front (main) wing spars costs, approximately (as an example)? I imagine that it is so expensive that I will run away screaming and be put off the idea forever.

LOTS,especially if your going airworthy.Have some scarey pics around here somewhere. Grin.
europaflyer

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 11:51:24 AM »

What scary pics? And how much would it cost (about)?
Spits

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 01:00:56 AM »

Problem with the spars is that they are different size annealed round tube,drawn into square tube then fitted inside each other.Then bent and heat treated to full hardness.You have a top and bottom spar,port and starboard and they are joined by a thick aluminium web.

Also check out this conversation here...
http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=75964&highlight=Spitfire+spars
NateW

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 09:45:35 PM »

I don't thinks anyone knows how much. No one does such things, that I know of. I could field a guess that it should be roughly half the cost of an airworthy spitfire. The wing is extremely complex, much more so than the fuselage, with virtually no sraight lines in it. Airworthy spitfires well over a million dollars US, is that scary enough?
One option is a composite wing, but even that cost would be expensive. Engineering, moulds, lay up, finishing, would all add up very quickly. Probably cheaper than the original method, but still lots of $$$$$$. I'm going composite for my project, with an aluminum fuselage. Seems the only option availible to me. I like the thought of a wet wing as well. I'm not real excited about two large containers of av gas right in front of me.
Fuel for thought,

Nate
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length