?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mk.VII - what does it look like behind the seat?  (Read 4120 times)
jenshb

Email
« on: May 07, 2009, 03:39:25 PM »

The title says it all I guess...  I have the Modeller's Data Files on the Merlin and Griffon Spits so there are some drawings there.  Also I found a website with pics of the PR.XIX in the Flygvapen Museum in Sweden.  Although two layers of vacformed plastic will go some way towards hiding things on a model, I would still like to know more.  Would the oxygen bottle on the starboard side still be there?  Would the capacity be increased as a consequence of greater internal fuel load (hence longer missions)?  The air bottles on the port side - I guess they would be as is, or would they be relocated?  Would the voltage regulator be located behind the head armour, or would this location be taken by the dessiccant cartridge as in the PR.XIX?  Any helpful pics or sketches that can shed some light on this would be appreciated.  Pics to come in the modelling thread as soon as I've got something to show...

Jens
Spits

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 01:14:38 AM »

Increased fuel capacity by adding a rear fuel tank behind pilots seat for one,the oxy bottle is relocated (IIRC) to a double mount down near F17,the bottles laying flat.The double air bottles stay in the same place.Not sure on the voltage regulator.Edgar would be the man to ask..
jenshb

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 09:56:15 AM »

Thanks Spits - PM sent to Edgar:)

I thought the increased fuel capacity came from tanks in the leading edge of the wing just inboard of the cannons?

Jens
Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 11:19:40 AM »

No fuel tank behind the pilot (the Mk.V manual goes into detail about how the flexible tank, behind the pilot's head, could only be used when the big ferry tank was used,) and the bulkhead, just in front of the radio compartment (frame 12,) was solid, but with provision for the Sutton harness cables/release cable, plus others, to pass through.  Couldn't have done that with a tank in the way, and extra tanks, ala XIV, were fitted into the wings.  The silica gel container (just like the later XIX) sat behind the headrest, but low, so the voltage regulator could still have been fitted.  I'll dig through my files, and send you a reply asap.
Edgar
jenshb

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 11:23:13 AM »

Brilliant - thanks a lot Edgar.

Jens
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length